The Screencast-O-Matic screenshot tool allows users to create a screenshot of one's computer screen. A user may want to communicate what is currently showing on their screen or only a partial portion of their screen. Once a screenshot is taken, it can be used in email, as a file, or inserted into a recording using the video editor.
Key reasons to use the Screencast-O-Matic screenshot tool:
- Insert screenshots into your recording via the editor
- Taking screenshots while offline
- Copy screenshots into other programs you are running such as email or image editors
- You must have a Deluxe or Premier subscription.
- You must have the local install on your computer. If not, please go to this link and download it. The Screencast-O-Matic recorder that is launched from the website does not have this functionality.
How to take a screenshot
Once you have the local screen recorder installed (see requirements), launch the application on your Mac or PC. The application is called "Screencast-O-Matic v2.0".
Once launched, you will see an icon in the status bar of your computer. (Lower right on a PC, upper right on your Mac.
Click that circular icon and click on Take Screen Shot.
Editing your screenshot
Once you click on "Take Screen Shot", you will be taken to an editor that has copied the image on each of your active screens(if you have multiple monitors) and active windows. Choose the screen or window that you want to edit by clicking on it.
- To use the full image: click on "Use Full Image" in the top right.
- To use a portion of the image, use your cursor to select an area on the current screen
For more editing options, please see our tutorial video.
Save your screenshot
Once you've selected the screenshot boundaries, you can now choose to save your image from the following choices:
- Copy Image - copies the image to your computer's clipboard for pasting into an image editor
- Upload and Copy Rich Text - Uploads the screenshot to Screencast-O-Matic hosting and copies the link in a rich text format for use in email and other text-based communication programs
- Upload and Copy Link - Uploads the screenshot to Screencast-O-Matic hosting and copies a link to your computer's clipboard
- Save Image to File - Saves the image into a location of your choice on your local hard drive.
Bonus: Screenshot Preferences
In the Screencast-O-Matic screen recorder menu, you can find a "Preferences" entry. Click on this to bring up a selection of preferences: some regarding screenshots.
Regarding screenshots, you can make these changes in Preferences:
- Change the top drop down to "Take Screen Shot" so that when you Ctrl-Click the icon in the status bar it will immediately take a screenshot
- Change the keyboard hotkey assigned to "Take Screen Shot"
- Change the number of items shown in the history of screenshots taken