The Screencast-O-Matic LTI screen recorder integrates with many learning management systems. This article will help with the setup of the Screencast-O-Matic LTI app within the Blackboard LMS for administrators and teachers.
Table of Contents
- Blackboard admins can add the free LTI app
- Enable Team Deluxe and Team Premier Plans with the Consumer Key
- Teachers can add Screencast-O-Matic to their Courses
Use of the Screencast-O-Matic LTI app is compatible with all plans; Free, Deluxe, and Premier.
Blackboard admins can add the free LTI app
Login to your Blackboard instance as an administrator. Click on System Admin. Under Integrations, click on LTI Tool Providers.
First, click on Register Provider Domain.
Please fill out the following:
- Under Provider Domain Status
- Provider Domain: screencast-o-matic.com
- Provider Domain Status: Approved
- Default Configuration
- Institution Policies
- Send User Data: Send user data only over SSL
- User Fields to Send: Place a checkmark next to each field to send these pieces of information:
- Role in Course
- Email Address
- The rest of the fields can remain as default.
Now that the Screencast-O-Matic domain is registered, we need to add a placement. Back on the LTI Tool Providers page, click on the dropdown caret to the right of screencast-o-matic.com, and click on Manage Placements.
Click on Create Placement.
Please fill out the following:
- Placement Information
- Label - You can use "Screencast-O-Matic" or similar
- Handle - SOM
- Availability - Yes
- Type - Course Content Tool
- Please make sure "Supports Deep Linking" is unchecked. (If this is checked the Content tool won't save properly).
- Tool Provider Information
- Tool Provider URL - See below
Special Note: If you have a Team Deluxe or Team Premier plan, you can find the Tool Provider Key and Tool Provider secret using these instructions. If you do not have these upgraded subscriptions, then just please put the following for Key and Secret
- Tool Provider Key: Blackboard
- Tool Provider Secret: Key
Enable Team Deluxe and Team Premier Plans with the Consumer Key
You can use the LTI App for your team to access the Deluxe Plan tools (screen recorder and video editor) and the Premier Plan tools with the advanced hosting features (embedding a video channel, adding a screen recorder button for student assignments, etc.).
In order for a Team Plan user to access the features of a Deluxe or Premier Plan, the admin for the plan will need to configure the LTI App with a private consumer key and secret.
First, login to Screencast-O-Matic with your Admin account and go to your "My Plan tab from your account page". Under Access Page, click on "Setup".
Make sure the LTI plugin is enabled (click checkbox next to "Use Pro Recorder in your LMS"), and find the Key and Secret values in the fields below. Copy each value and we will take these values back to the Blackboard configuration screen. These are unique to the team account, and should not be shared with anyone outside of your team.
Once you've captured these values, enter them into the Blackboard admin interface when creating a placement above. Complete the final steps in the admin interface and you will have enabled additional Deluxe or Premier functionality for your Screencast-O-Matic LTI app.
Teachers can add Screencast-O-Matic to their Courses
If you are a teacher, you can use the Screencast-O-Matic LTI app with Blackboard LMS but it will require some configuration from an admin first. The instructions below will work only if this configuration has occurred.
First, choose a course and go to "Content". Go to"Build Content" and click "Web Link".
A form appears. Put anything you like for Name, and then fill out the following:
- URL: see immediately below
- Click the Checkmark for "This link is to a Tool Provider"
- Finally, you can add your Key and Secret if you have a Team Premier or Team Deluxe suscription
If you get the below error message, you'll need to configure Screencast-O-Matic as a tool provider with your administrators help.
When launching the Screencast-O-Matic team application , why am I unable to use the video editor?
First, check to make sure your team account is upgraded to a Deluxe or Premier plan. Access to the video editor is only included within these plans.
If you have a Deluxe or Premier account, check your Blackboard app settings (or ask your Blackboard Administrator to check/configure) to make sure you have the consumer key and secret added in, as in the instructions above.