If you are experiencing issues recording your screen with the Screencast-O-Matic application on a Mac, and the application is only recording your background, please follow the steps below to troubleshoot this issue:
1. On your computer, click the Apple logo, on the top left of your screen.
2. Select "System Preferences".
3. Click on "Security and Privacy".
4. Click on the "Privacy" tab.
5. On the left, scroll down and select "Screen Recording".
6. Check that the Screencast-O-Matic application is checked, and has the permission "Screen Recording".
7. Close the System Preference window, restart your computer and try again to record your screen.