You can create Video Memes using the Screencast-O-Matic video editor, and share them directly on social media. You will need to be Solo Deluxe or Premier Subscriber to use the video editor. If you are Free Subscriber please check out the 30-day Video Editor free trial.
1. Launch the Screencast-O-Matic Application on your computer, or launch the Video Editor from the website. Then select the video that you would like to use.
2. On the bottom right of the Video Editor, click on "Edit".
NOTE: PLEASE SKIP TO STEP 6, IF YOU DO NOT NEED BLACK BARS AT THE TOP/BOTTOM OR SIDE OF YOUR VIDEO SCREEN AREA
3. Under "Canvas" click on the triangle icon, next to the resolution.
4. Click on the "Lock" icon to unlock the "Height" of the video. This will allow you to add more height (Black Bars) to the top and the bottom of the video. If you prefer the back bars on the side of the video, then use the "Width" box.
5. Enter a higher number (than the one listed) on the "Height" resolution box. Click "Apply" and you should now have black bars at the top and the bottom of the main video.
(for example, if the listed number was 720, raised it to 1024. You can try out different numbers until you reach the desired look)
6. To add text, click on "Tools" (on the bottom of the screen), click on "Overlay" and select "Text".
7. Enter the text for the top portion into the "Your text goes here" box, and you will see it displayed on the screen.
8. Move the text box to the top of the screen (drag and drop), and resize the box by grabbing the corner dots of the text box.
9. To change the text font and color, click on "Style".
10. In the "Modify Style" menu, click on "Font" and select "Impact".
(Fun Fact: The 'meme' font was unleashed in 1965, with a typeface called Impact. This is from the original Stephenson Blake ad for Impact.)
11. Click on "Color" and select "White".
12. On the "Modify Style" menu, click on the "Background" tab, click on "Shape" and select "None". Once complete, click on "DONE".
13. On the bottom of the screen (timeline), grab the blue 'dots' for the text and drag the left one all the way to the beginning (or when you want the text to show) and then right dot to the end of the video (or where you would like the text to end). Then click "OK"
14. Click "+Text" button to add more text, to create the bottom section.
15. Enter the text that you would like to display in the box.
16. Drag the text to the bottom of the screen, and on the timeline expand the points to the beginning and the end of the video for the text to be displayed. Click OK when you are Done.
17. To remove the "Fade in/ Fade out" effect on the video, click on the corner area in the timeline (image below) and on the "Text" box, click on "Transition" and select "None".
18. Once you are ready to publish, Click "DONE".
19. You can now save your file to your computer using the "Save As Video File".
This is the best option to use when publishing your video file, for the most flexibility. (allows you to upload the video file in the highest quality to any website)).
20. You can also upload the video directly to our website, by selecting the "Upload to Screencast-O-Matic" option.
21. Click the link below for instructions on how to share your video to all the top social media sites.
Insert New or Existing Recordings:
Overlay Image Video Tutorial:
Overlay Highlight Video Tutorial:
Overlay Blur Video Tutorial:
Overlay Arrow Video Tutorial:
How to upload to Screencast-O-Matic:
How to save a video to your computer as an MP4 or GIF.